Canada Permanent Residence (Canada PR Program)

Canada Permanent Residence (Canada PR Program)

Annually Canada welcomes approximately 250,000 new permanent residents in Canada. Canada has various programs through which you may qualify. You may already have a good idea of which program will be best for you, or if you don’t, Newsteps Immigration can advise you. Below you will find a brief overview of various programs.

Canada Express Entry PR

Express Entry is not a new immigration program; it is however a new application management tool implemented by Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC). All applicants eligible for permanent residence in Canada under the following programs must first create an Express Entry profile:
  • Federal Skilled Worker
  • Canada Federal Skilled Trade Worker Program
  • Canadian Experience Class Program
  • Provincial Nominee Program (not applicable to all PNP applicants)
Once a profile has been made, it will enter the Express Entry pool and be given a ranking score out of 1200 points. CIC will then select, during regular draws, the top ranking profiles and send those an Invitation to Apply (ITA). Applicants then have 60 days to submit their formal application. CIC has promised to process these applications within 6 months.Profile ranking scores (max 1200 points)
  • A maximum of 600 points are given awarded for age, education, language proficiency, Canadian work experience and skills transferability.
  • A total of 600 points are awarded for a Canadian job offer, supported by a Provisional Nomination.
  • Around 50 Points are awarded for a Canadian job offer by a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An LMIA is to be obtained by the Canadian employer.

Canadian Experience Class Program

You require 1 year of full time skilled Canadian work experience and score a set proficiency on an English or French language test to qualify under this Canadian experience class program.

Federal Skilled Worker

Under this program you require at least 1 year of skillful work experience in the past 10 years and score at least 67/100 points across 6 factors: education, language ability, work experience, age, arranged employment and adaptability. A verified Canadian job offer will significantly increase your point count. There is no longer a preferred occupation list for this program.

Canada Federal Skilled Trade Worker Program

Under Canada Federal Skilled Trade Worker Program, eligible applicants must demonstrate at least 24 months of work experience in the past 5 years in one of the eligible occupations, language proficiency, and a Canadian job offer or registration with the applicable provincial authority.
Canada Federal Skilled Trade Worker Program
BC Immigrant Nominee Program

BC Immigrant Nominee Program

This program consists of various streams. The strategic recruitment stream is for tradespersons and engineers. The employer driven stream is primarily designed for skilled workers, international graduates and with distinct parameters for semi skilled workers employed in the F&B processing, hotel and lodging, manufacturing, long-haul trucking and food service industries. There is also a self employed farmer’s stream.

Family Sponsorship

This category is is for those who wish to sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, dependent child, parent, grandparent or orphaned niece or nephew as permanent residence of Canada. Depending on the type of relative the sponsor’s income levels will be assessed and the relative’s medical, security, criminal background and the basis of the relationship are verified. The sponsor will be required to sign an undertaking. Processing times vary greatly in this category, this is typically the fastest permanent residency in Canada route for dependent children and spouses or common law partners.

Humanitarian & Compassionate grounds

This program is for those who reside in Canada and do not qualify under any other programs. You must be able to demonstrate that you will endure unusual and undeserved or disproportionate hardship if you are required to leave Canada.

Other Programs

Please contact Newsteps Immigration to find out more about other available programs that require explanation in detail, such as the Investor and Entrepreneur categories, the Caregiver program.
Our certified immigration consultants can answer all your questions about the Citizenship applications. Contact our office today and begin the process for the same.