Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Canadian Immigration

Q: What is the Express Entry system, and how does it work?
A: The Express Entry system is a points-based immigration system used by Canada to manage applications for permanent residence. Candidates are ranked based on factors like age, education, work experience, and language proficiency. Those with the highest scores receive invitations to apply for permanent residence.
Q: What is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada?
A: A DLI is an educational institution approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. To qualify for a study permit, students must be accepted into a program at a DLI.
Q: Can I work in Canada while studying?
A: Yes, under certain conditions. Full-time students enrolled in eligible programs at DLIs can work part-time during their studies and full-time during scheduled breaks. Co-op and internship programs may also be available.
Q: What is the Canadian Open Work Permit?
A: A Canadian Open Work Permit allows holders to work for any employer in Canada without the need for a specific job offer. Spouses of international students or skilled workers, as well as graduates from eligible programs, may be eligible for this permit.
Q: What is the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)?
A: The PNP is a program that allows Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals for permanent residence based on their ability to contribute to the local economy. Each province or territory has its own specific streams and criteria.
Q: How can I check the status of my immigration application?
A: Applicants can check the status of their immigration applications online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website using the unique identification number provided during the application process.
Q: Can I apply for a Canadian visa online?
A: Yes, most Canadian visas and permits can be applied for online. The application process varies depending on the type of visa or permit you are applying for. Ensure you have all required documents and information before starting the online application.
Q: Is there an age limit for immigrating to Canada?
A: No, there is no specific age limit for most immigration programs. However, points awarded for age in the Express Entry system decrease as the candidate gets older. Some specific programs may have age-related criteria.
Q: Can I extend my stay in Canada as a visitor?
A: Yes, in some cases, visitors to Canada can apply to extend their stay. It is essential to apply for an extension before your current status expires.
Q: How does the family sponsorship program work?
A: The family sponsorship program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor close family members for immigration to Canada. Sponsored family members may include spouses, dependent children, parents, and grandparents.